Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pampering myself with my favorite hair mask :)

I have naturally curly, frizzy hair, BUT I recently discovered this AWESOME hair mask that tames my mane.

Here's the basic recipe (I modified it slightly because my scalp is very sensitive to apple cider vinegar.  If you have a sensitive scalp, dilute the apple cider vinegar 1:1 with distilled water)

I'm going to give the basic recipe, but you can make as much as you need. (I triple the recipe because I have dry, thick, curly hair)

2 Tablespoons castor oil
1 teaspoon glycerin
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (I use the unfiltered kind with the 'mother' in it.  If you have a sensitive scalp or have been scratching your scalp, I highly recommend using 1/2 a teaspoon ACV and 1/2 a teaspoon distilled water)
1 large egg

I put all of my ingredients in a mason jar and use an immersion blender, but the first time I made it, I used a glass bowl and a whisk.

Mix everything thoroughly.  The mixture will be VERY runny (It totally looks like pale yellow milk LOL).  

I HIGHLY recommend using a long-tip squeeze bottle to apply.  Like the condiment bottles you buy for ketchup and mustard.

Apply the mixture to DRY hair root to tip.  Massage in thoroughly and cover with a self-heating conditioning cap. 

Fair warning:  your hair will feel like it is glued together but trust me when I say it's gonna be worth it.   Keep hair covered for 2 hours.  Do not rinse out.  Just wet your hair and wash with shampoo and condition like you would normally do.  Then, style as you wish.

I honestly can't recommend sitting under the hair dryer because I haven't tried it and I'm not sure it would be the best thing because of the amount of oil in the treatment. I've done it using only a plastic cap and body heat.  It's more time consuming, but I have been very, very pleased with the results thus far.

You will thank me.

No comments:

Post a Comment